An 11-year-old boy became a hero after he ran into his burning apartment to save his 2-year-old sister in Maryland earlier this week.

A sparking socket in a bedroom sparked an electrical fire that broke out in a two-story apartment building in Salisbury, Maryland, on Tuesday, damaging at least two of the eight units.

Fortunately, there were no casualties or serious injuries, although the worst could have happened had it not been for 11-year-old La’Prentis Doughty.

According to WBOC, Doughty managed to get out of the burning building before realizing his two-year-old sister Loyalty was still inside.

“If I hadn’t saved my sister, I would have been angry with myself because I could have easily saved her and I would have been angry with myself,” he said.

Doughty ran back into the building, leaving with the young girl.

Above, a fire truck drives through Washington, DC, February 5, 2022. An 11-year-old boy saved the life of his two-year-old sister Tuesday by running back into their burning apartment to save her, sources say.
STEFANI REYNOLDS/AFP via Getty Images

Doughty was slightly burned after the rescue, but the injuries were very minor – according to the state fire department’s report, he did not even need medical attention at the scene.

His mother, Keishauna Banks, told WBOC: “I feel bad because I don’t know how to reward him now. I praise him and say, ‘Did you know you did a good job? But I’m still trying to process everything, I’m still in shock.”

According GoFundMe created by Banks, she was shopping for Thanksgiving dinner when her best friend called and told her the apartment was on fire.

She wrote that she was grateful that “my children are alive and breathing”, adding: “we are devastated and need help with clothes and shelter.”

According to the WBOC, the family is staying at the hotel and receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.

But nevertheless, Doughty said: “I feel good that my sister is alive today. I’m glad Thanksgiving is tomorrow.”

The state fire marshal reported that the fire caused approximately $250,000 in structural damage and $40,000 in property damage.

Newsweek contacted the Maryland Fire Marshal for additional comment.

According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), approximately 51,000 household electrical fires occur each year. ESFI advises homeowners to check home electrical systems, electrical cords, extension cords and outlets for signs of buzzing, flickering lights or tripped circuit breakers.

A video showing how quickly a Christmas tree can catch fire garnered millions of views last week, warning viewers that natural trees and electricity problems can sometimes turn into serious incidents.

Last December, an electrical fire broke out in Ohio, killing two 9-year-old twins and injuring six others.

#heroic #11yearold #runs #apartment #fire #save #2yearold #sister

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *