Acomb Pets owner Mark Eaton admits to letting chameleons suffer



A pet shop owner in York has allowed an animal in his care to suffer.

After a chameleon spent eight days in Acomb Pets, his wound was oozing pus, he was unable to eat, he was dehydrated and his skin was dry and paper-like, Phil Brown, prosecutors told York magistrates. Was.



Shopkeeper Mark James Eaton claimed he was bitten by a locust and the injury was recovering.

He has worked or run a family-run shop for more than 20 years. It sells small animals and reptiles and has a boarding section,



“He has ample experience caring for reptiles,” said Mr. Brown.

“He should have been in a position to recognize the signs of suffering, and he should have sought veterinary attention to relieve that pain.”



Eaton, 42, of Woodley Avenue, Acomb, pleaded guilty to allowing an animal to suffer for failing to provide medical treatment for an infection and deteriorating body condition at a Hebden Rise, Acomb shop. He was prosecuted by the RSPCA.

To him, barrister Shada Mailer stated that he had acted with good intentions and did not intentionally allow the animal to suffer.

“There was no malice,” she said. “Looks like it was a simple error. He takes animal care very seriously.”

Eaton was ordered to pay a total of £1,365, including a £923 fine, £350 prosecution costs and a £92 statutory surcharge.

The RSPCA did not disqualify them from owning, caring for or in charge of the animals.

Mr Brown said the three-year-old chameleon was in perfect condition when his owner took him to the shop for boarding on August 5, while he reworked his vivarium’s ultra-violet light.

He provided food and his phone number to the locusts so that they could be called in case of any problem.

The shop did not call her and she returned on August 13 to pick up her pet.

“She was very surprised about his appearance,” said Mr. Brown.

In addition to bruising and other symptoms, the chameleon was asleep, which is unusual for daytime chameleons.

She took it to her vet and called in the RSPCA.

Mr Brown said the chameleon was improving after treatment including antibiotics.

Interviewed by the RSPCA, Eaton said he saw no deterioration in its status.

Ms Melor said Eaton had been at the store since 1999 and was the only incident of its kind.

He claimed that the pet’s owner did not leave his phone number.

Since the incident, Eaton had consulted the RSPCA and implemented in-store policies for himself and his employees.

Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *