Bill Cosby Civil Trial Jury Should Begin Deliberations

by Andrew Dalton | The Associated Press

SANTA MONICA — After two days of deliberation in which they reached a verdict on nearly all the questions put before them, the jury in a civil trial ruling on sexual abuse charges against Bill Cosby is set to begin from scratch on Monday. Will happen.

By the end of the court’s day on Friday, a Los Angeles County jury had agreed on whether Cosby sexually assaulted plaintiff Judy Huth at the Playboy Mansion when she was 16 in 1975, and whether Huth had any There was damage. Overall he answered eight of the nine questions on his judgment form, but all asked whether Cosby had acted in a way that should have required punitive damages.

Judge Craig Carlan, who promised a juror when she agreed to serve that she could go for pre-commitment no later than Friday, accepted the objections of Cosby’s attorneys and the questions posed by the jury. Decided to read the verdict. But they had to change course when representatives appeared at the Santa Monica courthouse and were required to vacate the courtroom. With no budget for the deputy’s overtime, the courthouse is required to close at 4:30 p.m.

Carlan refused to ask the departing juror, who had been chosen as foreperson, to return on Monday, so the jury would have to resume with a substitute in his place.

“I won’t go back on my word,” Carlan said.

It was a strange end to a strange day of jury deliberation. It began with a note to the judge, which he called a “personality issue” between the two jurors, which was making their job difficult.

After summoning them to the courtroom and agreeing that each jury would be heard in the discussion, the jurors resumed, but the issues with their decision were fraught with questions that the judge and lawyers had to discuss. and had to answer. One question was how to calculate the loss.

After the lunch break, Cosby attorney Jennifer Bonzen walked to the mistrial due to a photo taken by a member of Cosby’s team that showed a juror standing close to a Cosby accuser who was sitting in the audience and watching the trial. was.

Carlan stated that the photos did not indicate that any negotiations had taken place, and quickly dismissed the erroneous offer, receiving assurances from the jury in question, then the entire jury, that anyone had discussed the matter with him. Had not.

The accuser, Los Angeles artist Lily Bernard, who has filed her lawsuit against Cosby in New Jersey, declined to speak to any jury.

“I’ve never spoken to a juror,” Bernard told the judge from his seat in the courtroom. “I would never do anything to jeopardize this matter. I don’t even look at them.”

Carlan struggled to overcome obstacles and kept the jurors deliberating for as long as possible, and kept lawyers, journalists and court staff ready to bolt in the courtroom as soon as the verdict was read, but in the end. It was useless.

After a two-week trial, jurors began deliberating on Thursday morning.

Cosby, 84, who had been released from prison nearly a year earlier after a Pennsylvania criminal sentence was overturned, did not appear. He denied any sexual contact with Huth in a clip from a 2015 video statement shown to jurors. The denial has been repeated throughout the trial by his spokesman and his lawyer.

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: