One of California’s hottest electoral decisions, Proposal 30 loses results in early elections as voters consider taxing the rich to fund electric vehicle subsidies and fire preparedness.

Proposition 30 faces counter-winds as 56% of the votes were counted against the proposal, in line with an initial score of over 330,000 votes from five constituencies.

If approved, it will raise taxes on income in excess of $ 2 million by 1.75% over the next 20 years. The proposal is estimated to raise between $ 3 billion and $ 5 billion annually, 80% of which will go to strengthen the state’s electric vehicle charging infrastructure and subsidies to help residents purchase new electric vehicles. The remaining 20% ​​would go to extending the ranks of firefighters and preparing for a fire, such as ordered burns and forest thinning.

Proposition 30 shared the state’s democratic establishment with Governor Gavin Newsom, who opposed his own party in opposition to the vote. This is a remarkable position for a governor who has made the fight against climate change a key pillar of his term and endorsed a state mandate to phase out new gas-powered cars by 2035. business groups and The Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association, a conservative anti-tax group.

A coalition of Prop supporters. 30 include environmental groups, Lyft, the California Democratic Party, and the mayors of San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland, and Los Angeles.

Lyft is Prop’s largest single donor. 30, and Governor Newsom opposed the tax measures, calling them “corporate guardianship”.

“Prop. 30 is being touted as a climate initiative. But it was actually developed by one corporation to pay state income taxes for their company,” Newsom told Newsom in an ad campaign that has spread to television screens in recent months.

By 2030, rider companies, including Uber and Lyft, are required to use zero-emission vehicles for at least 90% of the kilometers traveled. However, environmental groups and other sponsors noted that the rules were written before they asked Lyft to open their deep pockets and back the measure.

Professional. 30 supporters say California needs dedicated funding to ensure the state’s shift away from gas-powered cars, improve air quality, and fight climate change. Transport is responsible for 40% of California’s greenhouse gas emissions, and increasingly deadly fires are another major source of carbon.

Newsom also warned that wealthy taxpayers could leave the state under the tax system and ultimately harm the state budget, which relies heavily on income taxes from wealthy residents.

Paul Rogers and The Associated Press contributed to this story.

#Californias #Prop #losing #results #earlier #elections #Mercury #News

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *