Graphic photos, details mark Charlena Lyles inquiry: Officers tell children ‘don’t look at the dying mother’

Charlena Lyles’ family endured hours of interrogation testimony Wednesday that included graphic descriptions and photos detailing her efforts to protect her children and save her life after she was shot seven times by Seattle police officers was.

Her father, Charles Lyles, groaned audibly and left the room when the King County Investigative Administrator showed the jury a picture of Lyles’ lifeless body, strapped to a backboard and medical equipment in the hallway of his apartment. and was surrounded by blood-soaked bandages. He was shot dead by two officers in 2017.

Eric Schickler, one of the first officers to respond to the shooting, gave an emotional testimony of how he pulled two of the Lyles’ children out of the apartment, covering their eyes while crossing their mother’s body.

“The trauma of seeing his mother and what we were about to do would be overwhelming,” he said, noting that officers were preparing to begin CPR chest compressions on the 5-foot-3, 110-pound Lyles. Were. “I told [her son] Keep going and don’t look.

“It would be extremely frightening for a young child… to see a bunch of grown men patting their mother’s chest,” the officer said. “I thought it very important to get the kids out.”

Schickler, a 22-year-old department veteran, pulled Lyles’ two older children out of the apartment, handed them over to neighbor Lorna Murray, then returned to the apartment to pick up an infant. He then returned to the apartment and began chest compressions on Lyles, who at the time was lying in a hallway between the apartment’s kitchen and living room.

The jury was shown a short heartbreaking video from a police cruiser dash-camera that showed Murray and another neighbor, Mary Ruffin, trying to comfort Lyles’ 4-year-old daughter and 12-year-old son outside the apartment.

Ruffin, who had also testified, wept at the witness’s stand as she described the scene. She recalled that the boy was emotional and said, “They shot my mother,” with tears rolling down his face.

Karen Cobb, an attorney for the officers, tried to convince Investigator Michael Spearman that the video should not be shown, stating that it was “more inflammatory than potentially”. Spearman dismissed her objection.

Lyles called the police on the morning of June 18, 2017 to report the theft from his Magnuson Park apartment. Two officers, Jason Anderson and Steve McNew, responded. Officers had seen an “officer-safety” alert accompanying the dispatch, noting that Lyles had attacked officers with scissors two weeks earlier.

Officers said they were walking into the apartment with Lyles discussing the alleged theft, when Lyles pulled out a knife and attacked Anderson. Both the officers drew their service weapons and opened fire. He was killed seven times.

The Lyles inquiry is the second of at least 56 pending inquiries into police-related deaths in King County. The process—intended to be a public, fact-finding review of deaths involving law enforcement officers—was stalled for years after County Executive Dow Constantine determined it was biased toward police.

Another veteran Seattle police officer, Kieran Barton, called to Lyles’ apartment after the shooting, saying she found Anderson still standing over Lyles’ body, arms drawn and “low-dressed.”

“He appeared to be in shock,” Barton said, adding that he pushed Anderson away. “He seemed unresponsive.”

Seattle firefighter Richard Harrison said he ordered Lyles’ body to be moved to an apartment hallway, where medics would have more room for life-saving efforts. They said that they stripped off her clothes and tried to apply trauma dressing to her wounds. But Lyles had no pulse and wasn’t breathing, she said, and he saw at least three bullet wounds in his abdomen and chest, with exit wounds in his back.

After medics arrived on the scene, life-saving efforts resumed briefly, before it was determined that further efforts to revive Lyles would be futile and the medics “called it this,” Harrison said. Told.

interrogative testimony resume on monday,

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: