Gunman dies after SEPTA transit officer shoots 3 others in Frankford section of Philadelphia, police say – Greeley Tribune

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A SEPTA Transit officer and two women were shot by a suspect Wednesday night in the Frankford section of Philadelphia. This happened around 7 p.m. near Leiper and Arrot Streets

Sources reveal that a third person was also shot in a rush on CBS3. The victim with a neck injury showed it to Frankford Hospital.

Read more: Police looking for 3 suspects accused of assaulting a 17-year-old girl on Broad Street Line in North Philly

The condition of the 28-year-old SWAT officer at Temple University Hospital is stable. The officer was shot in the stomach and is expected to recover.

Officers, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw and Mayor Jim Kenney all made their way to the hospital to await word on his condition.

SEPTA Transit Police Chief Thomas Nestel says the officer is a three-year veteran of the department. Nestle described him as a “great police officer”.

Philadelphia and SEPTA Transit Police gathered to rally around his wounded brother and stick together as a sign of solidarity.

People gathered rejoiced as the officer came out of surgery and FaceTimed with the crowd.

The thunderous applause and clapping could have had a different scene.

According to Philadelphia Police Sgt. Eric Gripp, The incident began when police officers patrolling the area heard gunshots.

Two civilian women were shot – a 57-year-old and a 42-year-old are both in stable condition. Police say they are unsure at this time why the shooter shot the two women, triggering the whole thing.

Patrol officers then chased the suspect into an apartment building on the 4700 block of Leiper Street.

Chopper 3 was at the scene as a large police presence surrounded the area. SWAT team sources say it was complete chaos.

Snapshot 10 1

Police say the suspect opened fire on the officers from the second and third floors of the building. Then SEPTA came under the grip of the officer.

Officials say he was shot while covering another officer who was firing.

Officials say several Philadelphia police officers retaliated.

Read more: The man who shot and killed the son of a Philadelphia police officer at FDR Park in 2019 acquitted of all charges

According to police, the suspect was found shot and injured on the second floor of the building. A weapon has been recovered.

No one was hurt inside the building.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with this brave SEPTA police officer who sustained this injury,” Gripp said, “and here we are again, another night in our town and that’s it, completely and completely. Unacceptable and reckless gun violence killed nearly three innocent lives. We are so grateful it wasn’t worse than this.

Neighbors were horrified and described as they heard gunshots raining down their neighborhood during that gun fight.

“You just heard pow, pow, pow, like someone had a machine gun or grenades or something back and forth. And then the police came,” Nola Brady said. said.

Nola Brady was getting into her truck to leave for work Wednesday evening when gunfire struck Frankford just a few steps away.

“Everyone is just dodging and there are kids, telling them to run. Then they’re going to shoot at the police again and here go the helicopter. It was just crazy,” Brady said.

A mother said that she was feeding her child when the bullets started firing.

“It’s such a shame, it’s out of control when we get kids on the block. We have families living here. And you’re just running around shooting people?” Callie Williams said.

Yellow crime scene tapes spread across the area as others tried to get home from work. Others were in bed to get up early for work.

“It woke me up from my sleep. I came out to see what was happening and this is what I came out, barricading the street,” said a man.

Officials say L has reopened.

More news: Teen slaps Septa bus driver who told passenger masks are essential, say police

CBS3’s Joe Holden, Siafa Lewis and Matt Petrillo contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment