Kent woman charged with murder of 2-year-old son

King County prosecutors on Monday charged a Kent woman with second-degree murder in connection with the death of her 2-year-old son.

Probable Cause According to documents, 19-year-old Sandy Fernandez is accused of assaulting her son, fracturing his skull and jaw, and causing massive internal injuries.

According to court documents, Fernandez denied any physical abuse during an initial interview with a detective, but later said she was “frustrating” with her son, hitting him in the stomach and slamming him to the ground. .

Probable Cause According to the documents, on May 23, 911, a call came from Fernandez, who reported that his son was not breathing and unresponsive.

Kent Police and the Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority responded to the hometown suit on Pacific Highway South, where Fernandez worked and lived with her son and boyfriend, court documents say.

Probable Cause According to the documents, doctors declared the boy brought dead on arrival and officials noticed injury marks on the child.

According to court documents, Fernandez and her boyfriend reported that she started vomiting the previous morning and woke up every two hours at night, but did not get into distress.

Documents say she told officers that she got up to see her son lying on the floor, but thought he was sleeping. Her boyfriend found the boy cold and unresponsive and then Fernandez called 911.

On 26 May, detectives interviewed Fernandez and her boyfriend. Fernandez initially denied seeing injury marks on his son and then said that he had seen them a week earlier and ruled out any physical discipline as per probable cause documents.

The King County Medical Examiner ruled the boy’s death a homicide on June 22. The medical examiner estimated that the infection developed after at least 24 hours.

According to court documents, after the police informed Fernandez about the results, she admitted to slamming her son on the floor in the morning because he was sick because he had the stress of overworking and wanted him to go back to sleep. .

Court documents say he told detectives he didn’t mean to “slam” his son on the floor and later in April and a week before his death admitted to killing him because he didn’t want to sleep.

Fernandez was taken into custody on July 28. He is in custody on a $1 million bond.

His appearance is scheduled for August 11. Fernandez was not handed over a lawyer till Monday evening.

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: