A man accused of ambushing and killing two police officers at a motel in El Monte has died after being shot in the head, the Los Angeles County Coroner reports.
Justin Flores was pronounced dead on a sidewalk outside the Siesta Inn soon after Cpl was shot and killed. Michael Paredes and Officer Joseph Santana responded to the motel on reports of a possible stabbing on Tuesday, June 14, the report said.
After shooting both officers in the head, Flores ran into the parking lot and exchanged a second volley of bullets with other officers who arrived, officials said. It was not known how long Flores exchanged gunfire with the police before pointing a gun at himself.
Whether he too was killed by the authorities was not disclosed.
Paredes, 42, was a 22-year veteran of the El Monte Police Department, while Santana, 31, was in his first year there after working for the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department for three years.
Both were married fathers who lived in the Uplands and grew up in El Monte.
officials organized lighting a candle To honor the memory of two fallen officers at the El Monte Civic Center on Saturday night.
Heartfelt thanks to our men and women of the LA County Fire for their support and assistance in preparing for tomorrow’s vigil. We have an amazing community, words cannot express how grateful we are for everyone’s love and support. I @elmontepoa @elmontepolice @iafflocal1014 pic.twitter.com/7Q24eUhnkN
— Mayor Jessica Ancona (@jessancona) June 17, 2022
Flores, who had previously pleaded guilty to burglary and vehicle theft and a felony in possession of a firearm in 2021, criticized Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon, as family members and Critics claim that Flores will be in jail. If not for their policies.
Flores was sentenced to 20 days in prison and two years of probation after a plea agreement, but Deputy District Attorney Eric Siddle said Friday that Flores should have been sentenced to a minimum of 32 months in prison under California strikes law. .
The DA’s office said that managers in the office had reviewed the facts of that case and that the proposal was “equivalent to proposals in previous administrations.”
Flores’ wife Diana Flores told television reporters this week that her husband had attacked her a few days before the shooting and that she had gone to the motel to get away from him, but he followed.
She claimed that she told officers that her husband had a gun with him before going into the motel room.
Diana Flores said, “I am very sorry, my deepest condolences for saving me, I am very, very sorry.” “They didn’t deserve it, or their families. They were trying to help me.”