A woman from Maperly’s in Nottingham got more than she bargained for when she got a sandwich from Sainsbury’s.
Healthcare assistant Faye Wood told nottinghamshirelive He reportedly felt “physically ill” after a live caterpillar crawled into his sandwich.
The 27-year-old said it happened when she went to her local Sainsbury’s store on Ransom Road after finishing her shift.
Ms Wood said she had gone for a plowman’s sandwich, which she picked up from the low section at around 7 pm, before continuing on her journey.
She said that she ate half the sandwich soon after coming home, and then left the other half in the fridge.
It wasn’t until 30 minutes later when she reached for the remaining half of the packaging that she noticed the “shocking” discovery.
She said: “My two-year-old wanted to taste it so I grabbed it from the fridge and when I saw it I started to overheat. I was physically ill.
“It was a big caterpillar crawling out of sandwiches and packaging.”
Ms Wood has vowed to “never buy sandwiches from the supermarket” after the incident.
She continued: “When you’re at work all day and you come back at 7 p.m. you don’t really want to cook, you just want a snack or something.
“I’ve never had a problem with sandwiches. I get enough of them but it’s unacceptable.
“I’ll never buy a sandwich from the supermarket again because it really pissed me off and I’ll just be thinking about that all the time.”
Ms Wood submitted a complaint to Sainsbury’s on 22 November with a video of the caterpillar crawling on the sandwich packaging.
A Sainsbury’s spokesperson said: “Cases like this are extremely rare because we have procedures in place to prevent them from happening.
“We are contacting Faye to apologize for our experience and we are checking with our supplier.”
Go here for more stories about where you live in your area.