Prince Charles furious over $1M charity donation from Bin Laden family

Britain’s Prince Charles came under criticism after a newspaper reported that one of his charitable funds had accepted a donation of $1.2 million (£1 million) from relatives of Osama bin Laden.

The Prince of Wales’ charitable fund received funding in 2013 from the wealthy Saudi patriarch Bakr bin Laden and his brother Shafiq. The Sunday Times.

Both are half-brothers of the former al-Qaeda leader, who masterminded the September 11, 2001 attack and was killed by US special forces in Pakistan in 2011.

There is no suggestion that Bakr or Shafiq bin Laden sponsored or supported the acts of terrorism and the family deposed Osama bin Laden nearly 20 years ago.

according to TimesCharles, the heir to the British throne, accepted the donation after meeting with Bakker bin Laden at Clarence House on October 30, 2013, despite objections from his advisers.

Clarence House confirmed that the donation had been made, but disputed whether Charles had brokered the deal or decided to accept it.

The decision to accept the money was taken by the charity’s trustees and “any attempt to mark it otherwise is false,” the spokesperson said, Guardian Newspaper.

The fund’s chairman Ian Cheshire also said that the decision to accept the donation was “entirely” agreed upon by the trustees at the time.

Charles has been on social media since the report was published.

Nigel Farage, a broadcaster and former leader of the Brexit UK Independence Party, tweeted: “After taking £1million from the Bin Laden family, it is clear Prince Charles has made a terrible decision.”

“Maybe he should retire now and talk more to his plants instead?”

Journalist Jake Hanrahan wrote: “The British monarchy once again proves itself to be corrupt, lawless and without principles, as Prince Charles has taken £1 million from Osama bin Laden’s family and people close to Saudi Arabia’s brutal regime. “

Dr Shola Moss-Shogbamimu, a political commentator, said Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, would have been “humiliated” and “abused” by the British press and public if she or her charity had accepted such a donation .

“The haters will demand to be stripped of every title from her including wife, mother and duchess. Hypocrite,” she wrote.

Prince Charles is seen during a meeting with local community groups on July 29, 2022 in Vic, Scotland.
Andrew Milligan / WPA Pool / Getty Images

BBC journalist Alistair Coleman noted that Dan’s optics were “terrible”, Osama bin Laden was rejected by his family and expelled from Saudi Arabia in the 1990s.

Coleman wrote, “The manner of receiving donations from the Bin Laden family is terrible because the name is completely tainted, but he had no affiliation with the al-Qaeda terrorist for the 17 years that led to his death.”

Charles recently came under criticism when it emerged that he had accepted a €3 million cash donation from a Qatari politician between 2011 and 2015 – some of which was in suitcases.

Meanwhile, another Prince’s charity, the Prince’s Foundation, is under police investigation over allegations that its chief executive offered to help a Saudi billionaire secure honor and citizenship in exchange for donations.

Clarence House has said that Charles was not aware of any such proposal.

newsweek Clarence House has been contacted for further comment.

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: