Skin turns purple after dog’s venomous bite struggles for life

A dog is fighting for his life after consuming poison from a deadly bite while playing in the park.

English Bulldog Breezy, 1, had emergency surgery after veterinarians believed he had been bitten by a deadly snake or spider.

Owner Millie Batten, 23, was walking with her at her local park in Surrey, England, on 16 July, as she does on most days, when Breezy was bitten, she believes.

Breezy, a mixed bulldog (1,), is undergoing treatment at the vet after being bitten by a venomous insect or snake while playing in a park in Surrey, England, on July 16, 2022.
Millie Batten, SWNS/Zanger

The next day, the pooch developed a massive swelling on his neck and she took him to her vet to see him. The vet said it was nothing serious and Breezy was discharged after prescribing a course of antibiotics to rule out any infection.

But, two days later, Breezy’s condition worsened and swelling spread from her neck and chin to her lower body and chest.

Batten took her back to the vet, who said her infection had indeed spread and she would have to make several incisions to drain the purulent fluid from her wounds.

“Everything happened so fast, we didn’t even have time to process it,” Batten, a nurse, said.

Bulldog Breezy Being Treated For Venomous Bite
Breezy, a mixed bulldog (1,), is undergoing treatment at the vet after being bitten by a venomous insect or snake while playing in a park in Surrey, England, on July 16, 2022.
Millie Batten, SWNS/Zanger

“One minute he was happy and playing normally after the vet basically saw him – but then a few days later he got sick again.

“Bright was sleepy, lethargic, panting continuously and his swelling had increased to three times in size.

“The vet identified a buildup of purulent fluid in and around her wound that needed to be drained through multiple incisions.

“But he was getting seriously ill day by day and the infection was spreading rapidly – ​​his skin was turning a scaly purple color.

“After three incisions, Breezy had to be sent to the emergency vet for a life-saving operation.”

Breezy was transferred last week to the Fitzpatrick Oncology Veterinary Center in Guildford, where the emergency surgeon gave her a fresh frozen plasma transfusion.

The purpose of the transfusion was to help the blood clot so that it could effectively drain the pus without losing too much blood.

The surgeon also removed dead skin, cleaned and bandaged Breezy’s wounds and inserted a feeding tube to keep her alive through the surgery.

Before the operation, surgeons suggested that putting her down might be the best option – but Batten declined.

It has now been two days since he came under the knife and thankfully his condition is stable.

Batten says the main focus now is wound management, although he believes he has survived the worst.

“I had to sign a consent form before he could have his emergency surgery because there was a high chance he wouldn’t be able to do it,” she said.

“But Breezy is a fighter and it looks like he’s out on the other side.

“Currently they are being administered methadone and ketamine to help with their pain, and now the focus is on caring for their wounds and monitoring their eating habits.

“And, Fitzpatrick’s veterinarians have concluded that they believe he contracted a flesh-eating bacterial infection from a spider or snake bite.”

Bulldog Breezy Being Treated For Venomous Bite
Breezy, a mixed bulldog (1,), is undergoing treatment at the vet after being bitten by a venomous insect or snake while playing in a park in Surrey, England, on July 16, 2022.

Breezy isn’t completely out of the woods yet, and there’s still a long road to recovery ahead.

He’ll need at least a few more weeks of inpatient care, followed by intensive care – which won’t be cheap.

To date, Batten has withdrawn a total of 7,000 British pounds ($8,500) for his treatment, although he says he will have to pay around £10,000 ($12,200) more when the bill comes for his inpatient care.

Aftercare and rehabilitation for Breezy would also be in the thousands, and Batten’s pet insurance only covers the first 15,000 pounds ($18,300) of medical expenses.

so the baton has started gofundme Fund the pooch for the remainder of his treatment.

“We still don’t know what the future holds for Breezy, but we’re doing everything we can to make sure she recovers as soon as possible,” Batten said.

“By sharing our story with the world, we want to make other dog owners aware of the dangers dogs can be exposed to, even in the UK

“Knowing him down was never an option, and we will continue to fight for him as long as necessary – he is very special to us.”

produced in collaboration with SWNS,

This story was provided to Greeley Tribune zengar news,

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: