Sussex commuters’ travel disrupted as London Underground strike begins



Commuters may have their travel disrupted as the London Underground strike begins.

London Underground (LU) services will be disrupted today after drivers began a 24-hour strike over a dispute over the Night Tube.



Five tube lines will be badly affected this morning due to the strike action of tube workers.

Transport for London (TfL) said the Central, Jubilee, Northern, Piccadilly and Victoria lines will be severely disrupted for 24 hours starting at 4.30am on Friday.



Another strike will be held on Saturday evening on the Central and Victoria lines, with plans to restart the Night Tube later this week after it was suspended last year due to the pandemic.

Members of the Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) are taking industrial action for several days before Christmas.



RMT Secretary General Mick Lynch said: “This morning’s tube strike action is concrete across all depots and the cascading effect on services is entirely due to the failure of management to recognize the anger of its employees at implementing harmful and unacceptable working practices. and fails to address.

“This action was completely avoidable if LU owners had not attempted to bulldoze through arrangements that eliminated Night Tube driver grades, lumping everyone into the central pool where they were required to cut costs. About wish in the drive could have been deleted.

“Our members have spoken this morning and it is time for London Underground to start listening.

“This is only the beginning of a program of action and the mayor and his officers need to recognize our determination to protect progressive and family-friendly working practices. We are available to negotiate.”

RMT members plan to strike six other nights as well: Friday 3 December, Saturday 4, Friday 10, Saturday 11 and Friday 17.

RMT has said that LU has abolished 200 tube driver posts and has imposed “unacceptable and unbearable” new rota on existing drivers to cover night tube services. The union says it would “ruin the work-life balance” of the members.

It came as the public and campaign groups called for safer nighttime transportation to help increase the transportation available to combat violence against women and girls and to support nighttime industries.

The union said that its members are strongly supporting the walkout.

Picket lines were put up outside some tube stations since morning.

RMT says Transport for London (TfL) has “ripped” an agreement on night tube driving by changing the roster.

TfL said no jobs were being lost and the change meant drivers would work around four night tube weekends a year.

Nick Dent, London Underground’s Director of Customer Operations, said: “At such a critical time for the Capital’s recovery, we are extremely disappointed that RMT is threatening London with this unnecessary action.

“By changing the tube driver roster we have provided greater flexibility for drivers as well as permanent work and job security, which has been welcomed by all other unions.”

Do you have a story for us? E-mail news@teargus.co.uk Or contact us here,

follow us on Facebook, Twitter And instagram To keep up with all the latest news.

sign up for us News bulletin To send updates straight to your inbox.

You can also call us on 01273 021 400.

Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *