Greeley Tribune, Greeley Tribune News, Greeley Tribune Sports

The police officer was found guilty of misconduct in handling a mental health patient who died in custody.

A police sergeant who failed to accurately assess a “weak” woman in his custody who later died is guilty of serious misconduct.

Jason Marsden “lost control” while dealing with Kelly Hartigan Burns. BlackburnThe Greenbank Police Station in 2016, an independent panel disciplinary said.

Ms. Hartigan Burns, who had a history of mental illness, self-harm and alcohol abuse, was found unresponsive in her cell on December 4 and later died at the Royal Blackburn Hospital.

He was arrested yesterday on charges of alleged assault.

Mr Marsden did not ask a medical professional to examine Hartigan Burns’ condition, although he had previously tried to kill himself.

He did not read the rights of the deceased, spoke to him suddenly and did not explain the method of detention.

Mr Marsden deliberately ignored questions on a computer system designed to identify threats to detainees and ignored police records showing he tried to kill himself. Is.

At the time of her arrest, Hartigan Burns, 35, was under the influence of drugs, under the care of a psychiatrist, and had prescription drugs on her person.

An independent panel ruled that Mr Marsden, who did not take part in the proceedings, violated professional standards and would have been fired if he had not resigned a few weeks earlier. Hearing Start.

Representing Mr Marsden, Sarah Barlow said it was an isolated event in her 27-year career.

Lancashire PoliceActing Assistant Chief Constable Ross Proctor offered “sincere condolences” to the family of the victim.

He added that it would be inappropriate and unfair to comment further due to “ongoing coronal and civil proceedings”.

Bhatt Murphy’s Caroline Galway, who represents the family, said: “Although this finding is the first confirmation of the family’s concerns that Kelly has not been properly cared for, it is not frightening that she was given about five. Had to wait years to hear it.

“They are now awaiting an inquiry next year, which they believe will fully expose the evidence and make inquiries for all to see.”

Speaking after John Hartigan, Burton’s mother, said: “It’s ridiculous to take five years to get to this point, now it’s very painful to find out the facts.

“This hearing has helped the family get closer to the truth about what happened, making sure it never happens to others.”

%d bloggers like this: