Trump Jr text show ‘was a coup plan’ from the start, says legal expert

Some legal experts argue that the newly reported text message sent by Donald Trump Jr. to former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows suggests the former president and his aides were planning a “coup” from the start. Before the votes were fully counted. 2020 election.

CNN previously reported On Friday, November 5, 2020, Trump Jr. sent a text message to Meadows saying: “It’s too easy… we have many paths we control them all.” The former president’s son reportedly plans to scrap the Electoral College process and place his father, former President Donald Trump, in the White House. Notably, that message was sent just two days after the election—before the results were finalized and counting of ballots continued in as many states.

Trump Jr.’s attorney, Alan S. Futerfas told CNN that the message was most likely to be forwarded. “After the election, Don received several messages from supporters and others. Judging by the date, this message probably came from someone else and was forwarded,” he said.

But critics of Trump and some legal experts jumped on the reporting, arguing it was more evidence of a “coup” attempt.

Some legal experts say the newly reported text messages from Donald Trump Jr. show that a “coup” was always the plan. Above, Trump Jr. and his father, former President Donald Trump, look on before the fight between Evander Holyfield and Vitor Belfort at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino on September 11, 2021 in Hollywood, Florida.
Douglas P. DEFELIS/GETTY IMAGES

“What makes it clear that January 6th was not based on a belief, good faith or otherwise, that the results of the 2020 election were decided incorrectly – they were plotting it even before the votes were counted! The plan was there from the get-go,” Asha Rangappa, a lawyer and senior lecturer at Yale University as well as former FBI special agent, tweeted Friday.

Lawrence Tribe, a professor of constitutional law at Harvard, agreed with Rangappa’s assessment.

Tribe retweeted the lawyer’s post and wrote, “This is absolutely true of .@AshaRangappa_.” “Most others have missed this crucial point: Junior’s revelations kill the defense of the ‘innocent state’, leaving compelling evidence of corrupt intent for each of the many federal crimes that conspirators close to the defeated president.” were.”

Glenn Kirshner, a former US military prosecutor who has repeatedly called for Trump’s indictment, touted the text messages as evidence of “seditious criminality.”

“The ‘subject’ line of Don Jr.’s email could also be, ‘I am a member of my father’s criminal conspiracy to reverse the election.’ How long do we have to endure this open, seditious crime by Trump and company before anyone is charged?” Kirschner wrote in a Twitter post.

Trump has consistently denied any wrongdoing related to the 2020 election results and his efforts to reverse the events of January 6, 2021 – when hundreds of his supporters stormed the US Capitol and including Vice President Mike Pence and House Speaker Endangered the lives of top MPs. Nancy Pelosi. The former president claims that President Joe Biden’s victory was fraudulent and that any investigation into him and his family is politically motivated.

The House Select Committee probing the January 6 attack against the Capitol said in a March court filing that evidence suggests Trump and his aides were involved in a “criminal conspiracy” related to the 2020 election. The committee argued that the former president and “many others have been involved in the election certification process by interfering with the election, spreading false information about election fraud, and pressuring state officials to help state election results and federal officials.” made a pact to deceive the United States. That attempt.”

US District Court Judge David Carter appeared to agree that Trump may be engaging in criminality. “Based on the evidence, the court finds it more likely that President Trump attempted to obstruct a joint session of Congress on January 6, 2021,” Carter wrote in a ruling in late March.

Despite claims by Trump and his allies, no evidence has emerged to corroborate the allegations of widespread fraud that resulted in his losing his election.

Dozens of 2020 election challenge lawsuits filed by Trump and his allies have failed in state and federal courts. Even judges appointed by the former president have consistently dismissed lawsuits. Meanwhile, audits and recounts—states where the election was overseen by pro-Trump conservatives—have repeatedly confirmed Biden’s victory.

Former Attorney General William Barr, widely seen as one of Trump’s most loyal cabinet members, has repeatedly said there is “no evidence” to support the allegations of widespread voter fraud. Barr wrote in his memoir published last month that he told Trump to his face that the claims were “rapid*t”.

Leave a Comment